Our travel insurance requirements
All EF Gap Year participants are required to maintain adequate insurance coverage throughout the term of their program. Below is a summary of required and suggested insurance coverage.
- Accident and Sickness – $50,000
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment – $50,000
- Medical Evacuation and Repatriation – $50,000
- Non-Medical Evacuation – $100,000
Highly recommend coverage:
- Cancellation for Valid Reason - $22,000 (Gap Semester) / $39,500 (Gap Year)
- Trip Interruption - $33,000 (Gap Semester) / $59,250 (Gap Year)
- Travel Delay - $2,500
EF Gap Year’s Global Travel Protection Plan
EF Gap Year offers a specially designed Global Travel Protection Plan* for our program participants that meets all of the requirements and recommendations outlined above at very competitive rates:
Gap Year: $800
Gap Semester: $400
(Note that the cost of this Global Travel Protection Plan is not included in the Gap Year or Gap Semester base price, but an additional charge. It is also non-refundable after the 10-day review period.)
Providing your own travel insurance
If you choose not to purchase EF Gap Year’s Global Travel Protection Plan, you will need to provide proof of adequate insurance coverage prior to departure. Please be advised that many insurance companies do not offer travel abroad coverage for individuals. Please also be sure to check with your provider about the types of coverage they can offer, and at what price. We strongly suggest you compare their rates against ours.
* The insured components of the plan are underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company and assistance services provided by EF Gap Year. Insurance benefits in the plan are subject to exclusions and limitations. Please see the summary and full plan details for more information.